Understand your risk. Make informed decisions. Advocate for yourself. Support HDGC research.
Planned giving is the act of making a commitment to give a major gift to a charitable organization, over time or at death, as part of your overall financial and estate plan. Planned giving is a way to support your charitable interests while retaining complete control of your assets during your lifetime.
Planning to leave a gift as part of your will or trust is a simple way to create a permanent legacy and support HDGC research into the future. There may also be tax benefits to your estate and your heirs.
Naming the HDGC Research Fund as a beneficiary of a charitable bequest in your will or trust provides ongoing support for the cause you care about. Bequests can be a specific dollar amount, a percentage of your estate, or what remains after other bequests, such as those to family members, are satisfied. Your attorney or tax advisor can provide guidance on the best planned giving options for you.
Designating the HDGC Research Fund as a Beneficiary
For those who wish to make a bequest to the Fund in a will or trust, please share the following information with your attorney regarding beneficiary designation language.
To direct bequests to the HDGC Research Fund through the AUOA in America, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization:
- The Alumni of the University of Otago in America, Inc. (AUOA), which supports the University of Otago, located in Dunedin, New Zealand, or its successor in interest, to be contributed to the HDGC Research Fund whose sole purpose is to support HDGC research at the Centre for Translational Cancer Research, University of Otago, New Zealand.
To direct bequests directly to University of Otago in New Zealand:
- The University of Otago, located in Dunedin, New Zealand, or its successor in interest, to be contributed to the HDGC Research Fund whose sole purpose is to support HDGC research at the Centre for Translational Cancer Research, University of Otago, New Zealand.
Is the HDGC Research Fund included in your will or estate plan?
Please tell us about your legacy gift to document the impact you plan to make through your gift. We ask that you please send us a simple statement of intent in the form of an email with as much detail as you are comfortable sharing. Some things you may wish to include are:
* Contact Information: Name, Address, Phone, Email
* About Your Gift: Bequest in Will or Trust, or Other, Approximate value of your gift
* Do you wish to be recognized on this website as a legacy donor?
* Do you wish to designate your gift in honor or memory of someone special?
* Do you wish to remain anonymous? If anonymous, may we publicly recognize your gift once realized?
Information you provide to us is not legally binding and may be changed at any time in the future.
Future HDGC Legacy Society
A future goal is to establish an HDGC Legacy Society to provide special benefits and recognition as special partners in philanthropy and planned giving for those including the HDGC Research Fund in their estate plans.
If you have questions or need more information please contact Karen Chelcun Schreiber.
HDGC Research Fund Legacy Donors
Together, we will build a better future for HDGC families worldwide. Please send an email if you wish to be recognized here as a legacy donor.
In honor and appreciation to those who have committed to supporting the HDGC Research Fund through his or her will or estate plan.
- Karen Chelcun Schreiber: In the memory and honor of my parents, Fred and Elaine Chelcun, and my brother, Greg Chelcun