Welcome! Come on in. I’d love to show you around!
I’m so excited to introduce you to my new mission, one that is entirely focused on Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer. To sum it up in a few words . . .
HDGC: Understand your risk. Make informed decisions. Advocate for yourself. Support the research.
Initially I was going to take this opportunity to tell you all about it, but I think it will be so much more beneficial for you to explore on your own. This site is a work in progress, and is far from being done. Keep that in mind, and please be patient as the site evolves. I’d love to hear from you: questions about HDGC, feedback on the site, issues of concern to you, interest in helping advance the mission, or anything else that’s on your mind. All inquiries and comments will receive the courtesy of a prompt response.
In a nutshell, there are two areas of focus.
1) Supporting HDGC research at the University of Otago, Center for Translational Cancer Research in Dunedin NZ through direct funding of their work, and supporting other HDGC research through participation in clinical trials, studies, etc.
2) Providing in depth information, resources and new tools to help HDGC families make informed decisions and advocate for themselves.
For those of you who are more inclined to follow a roadmap, here are a few recommended destinations.
- Research Page – the latest update on research at Otago. A what? A stomach organoid? Yep!
- HDGC Research Fund – a fund established to provide a simple and effective vehicle to support promising HDGC research where 100% of monies donated go directly toward funding HDGC research taking place at the University of Otago, Centre for Translational Cancer Research. And with full accountability. No matter how you look at it, it’s a win | win!
If any of this resonates with you, I hope you’ll continue exploring, and take three more easy steps:
- Keep In Touch eMail sign up – It’ll take less than a minute to sign up. You’ll find the form at the bottom of most pages. You’ll only receive e-mail when there is something worthy of your time. It’s important to develop a mailing list of those impacted by HDGC to facilitate announcement of opportunities for participation in advancement of research through clinical trials and studies, surveys, and the like, as well as informing when new tools, information and resources are available for your benefit. And of course reporting on the progress of HDGC research!
- Make Your Voice Heard – Check it out. We can achieve so much when we work together. Your voice matters, so make your voice heard. Share with others too.
- Support The Research – You can make a world of difference. If you’ve explored the Vision | Mission | Goals page and the HDGC Research Fund page, you know what a difference your support will make. Please seriously consider supporting this very hopeful and most promising research. It is the future generations – our children, our grandchildren – who will be talking about ‘what my mom, dad, grandma…had to do’ to survive this hereditary cancer syndrome. We can change their destiny!
I’ll leave you to explore. I hope to hear from you, and I hope you will join me in this important and exciting mission. With hope, passion and determination…together we can do this!
Karen Chelcun Schreiber